Dr. Gary E. Stinchcomb
Website: Stinchcomb Lab
- Ph.D. Baylor University, 2012
- M.S., Temple University, 2007
- B.A., Pennsylvania State University, 2001
- EES 336, Principles of Geomorphology
- EES/ARC 390, Geoarchaeology
- EES 424, Conservation and Environmental Geology
- EES 616 Isotope Geochemistry
- Soil geomorphology
For more information on research and projects, and a complete list of publications, visit the Stinchcomb Lab.
- Stinchcomb, G.E. and Beverly, E., 2019. The Role of the Paleo-Critical Zone in Shaping Quaternary Hominin Evolution. Frontiers in Earth Science , 7 , p.95.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Kim, H., Hasenmueller, E. A., Sullivan, P. L., Sak, P. B., Brantley, S. L., 2018, Relating soil gas to weathering using rock and regolith geochemistry: American Journal of Science, v. 318, 727-763, DOI 10.2475/07.2018.01
- Kim, H., Stinchcomb, G., Brantley, S. L. 2017, Feedbacks among O2 and CO2 in deep soil gas, oxidation of ferrous minerals, and fractures: A hypothesis for steady-state regolith thickness: Earth and Planetary Science Letters 460, 29-40. Article
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Nordt, L. C., Driese, S. G., Lukens, W. E., Williamson, F. C., Tubbs, J. D., 2016, A data-driven model designed to predict paleoclimate using paleosols: American Journal of Science, v. 316, 32 p.
- Yesavage, T., Stinchcomb, G. E., Fantle, M. S., Sak, P., Kasznel, A., Brantley, S. L., 2016, Investigation of a diabase-derived regolith profile from Pennsylvania: Mineralogy, chemistry and Fe isotope fractionation: Geoderma 273, 83-97.
- Lattanzi, G. D., Stinchcomb, G. E., 2015, Isotopic analysis of museum-archived soil samples from archaeological sites: A case-study using the Abbott Farm National Historic Landmark, USA: Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 4, 86-94.
- Forman, S. L., Stinchcomb, G. E., 2015, Views on grand research challenges for Quaternary Geology, geomorphology and environments: Frontiers in Earth Science 3:47.
- Hasenmueller, E. A., Jin, L., Stinchcomb, G. E., Lin, H., Brantley, S. L., Kaye, J. P., 2015, Topographic controls on the depth distribution of soil CO2 in a small temperate watershed: Applied Geochemistry 63, 58-69.
- Messner, T. C., Stinchcomb, G. E., 2015, Peopling the environment: Interdisciplinary Inquiries into Socioecological Systems. In John M. Marston, Jade d'Alpoim Guedes, and Christina Warinner (Ed.), Method and Theory in Paleoethnobotany: Boulder: University of Colorado Press, pp. 257-274.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Messner, T. C., Stewart, R. M., Driese, S. G., 2014, Estimating fluxes in anthropogenic lead using alluvial soil mass-balance geochemistry, geochronology and archaeology in eastern USA: Anthropocene 8, 25-38.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Driese, S. G., Nordt, L. C., DiPietro, L., and Messner, T.C. 2014, Early Holocene soil cryoturbation in northeastern USA: Implications for archaeological site formation: Quaternary International 342, 186-198.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Peppe, D. J., 2014, The influence of time on the magnetic properties of late Quaternary periglacial and alluvial surface and buried soils along the Delaware River, USA: Frontiers in Earth Science 2, 17.
- Ferraro, J. V., Binetti, K. M., Stinchcomb, G. E., Manthi, F. K., 2013, Farre: an early Middle Pleistocene archaeological locality in the Chalbi basin, northern Kenya: Antiquity 87:338.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Stewart, R. M., Messner, T. C., Nordt, L. C., Driese, S. G., Allen, P. M., 2013, Using event stratigraphy to map the Anthropocene - An example from the historic coal mining region in eastern Pennsylvania, USA: Anthropocene 2, 42-50.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Messner, T. C., Williamson, F. C., Driese, S. G., and Nordt, L. C., 2013, Climatic and human controls on Holocene vegetation changes in eastern Pennsylvania based on the isotopic composition of soil organic carbon: Quaternary Research 79, 377-390.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Driese, S. G., Nordt, L. C., and Allen, P. M., 2012, A mid to late Holocene history of floodplain and terrace reworking along the middle Delaware River Valley, USA: Geomorphology 169-170, 123-141.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., Messner, T. C., Driese, S. G., Nordt, L. C., and Stewart, R. M., 2011, Pre-colonial (A.D. 1,100–1,600) sedimentation related to prehistoric maize agriculture and climate change in eastern North America: Geology 39, 363-366.
- Stinchcomb, G. E., 2003, Geoarchaeological Investigation at the Rivercrest Site (36MG112): Sand Grain Granulometric Analysis as an Interpretive Tool in Upland Setting Site Formation: Pennsylvania Archaeologist 73, 55-74.
- The Leakey Foundation, “Investigating Middle Stone Age stone (MSA) artifacts and associated hominin at Gona, Afar, Ethiopia”: $18,000 awarded to co-PIs – Sileshi Semaw and Mike Rogers. Start: December 31, 2015, End: December 31, 2016. G. Stinchcomb served as collaborator only.
- The Leakey Foundation, “The Oldowan-Acheulian transition at Gona, Ethiopia: Archaeological and geological studies: $18,000 awarded to co-PIs – Mike Rogers and Sileshi Semaw. Start: December 31, 2014, End: December 31, 2015. G Stinchcomb served as collaborator only.
- Murray State University (CISR), Using Innovative Age Dating to Quantify Hillslope and Fluvial Processes, $4953.35, PI: Stinchcomb, G., Start: January 2016; End: June 2016. Research support for one undergraduate.
- NSF-BCS 1524036, Collaborative Research: Middle Pleistocene Hominin Behavior and Paleoecology at Farre, Chalbi Basin, Northern Kenya. PIs: Ferraro, J., Binetti, K., Uno, K., Stinchcomb, G., $20,000 (Murray State), Start: August 15, 2015; End: July 31, 2017.
- USGS & KWRRI, Measuring Water Quality and Subsurface Restoration Effects along the Obion Creek Floodplain, western KY, PIs: Stinchcomb, G., Smith, A., $5,000 (Murray State), Start: March 1, 2015; End: February 29, 2016. Research support for one undergraduate
- Murray State University, Category I supplemental funding and learning enhancement for purchase of a Temperature-Dependent Magnetic Susceptibility System, $18,435, PIs: Stinchcomb, G., Ortmann, A., 2015.
- Murray State University (CISR), Floodplain Restoration Effects on Environmental Wellness in Western Kentucky, $4,984, PI: Stinchcomb, G., Start: January 2015; End: June 2015.
- National Park Service, Supplemental funding for 14C dating, $2,400, 2010.
- Geological Society of America, Graduate Student Research Grant, $3,600, 2010.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Association of American Geographers
- Geological Society of America
- Soil Science Society of America
- PAGES - Past Global Changes international working group