The Purchase Area Health Education Center (AHEC) is available to assist Murray State undergraduate, pre-health professions and post baccalaureate students prepare for health careers. Services available to Murray State students include:
- Health Career Exploration
- Job Shadowing Assistance (Download the application)
- Non-academic Advising
- Personal Statement Reviews
- Preparation for Admissions Tests – DAT, MCAT, OAT, PCAT (Download the application)
- Preparation for Professional School Admission Interviews
- Pre- Health Professionals Fair
- Rural Scholars Program
For more information please contact:
In the fall, pre-health professional students are able to attend the Pre-Health Professionals Fair on Murray State University's campus. Numerous health professional programs from a variety of schools are invited so students can meet and inquire about admission requirements and curriculum. Please see our 2018 health fair flyer.
Rural Scholars is a four week summer program sponsored by Purchase Area Health Education Center which introduces rural students to the need for health and medical professionals in rural communities, like their own. Scholars will be exposed to community health and population based health issues within rural communities. Priority is given to students from: Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Livingston, Lyon, and Marshall, McCracken or Trigg counties. However, other Kentucky residents can be eligible for the program if space is available. Scholars are chosen based on interest in rural health care.
Staying connected when you are away at school. The Letters from Home initiative helps us keep connected with pre-health professions students from the region, who are accepted into medical schools. This program fosters ongoing communication and support between our local medical students and our service area. Student Dinners are coordinated close to the medical school campuses to help maintain a sense of connection to the region. Representatives from the area hospitals are invited to join AHEC in hosting events, so they may get to know students, follow them along their career path, and hopefully increase the potential that will return back home to practice one day. Newsletters provide a composite of the current happenings at area hospitals, and features local practitioners offering words of encouragement, as the students navigate their way through medical school and residency. See our most recent newsletter here.
Interested in a health career, but still have not found the right fit?
- University of Louisville School of Dentistry
- University of Louisville School of Medicine
- University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy
- University of Kentucky College of Health Sciences
- University of Pikeville, Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of Pikeville College of Optometry
- Murray State University School of Nursing Master and Doctorate of Nursing Programs
- Sullivan University College of Pharmacy
- Bellarmine Physical Therapy
- Eastern Kentucky University Department of Occupational Therapy
- Murray State University Communications Disorder Program
- Western Kentucky University Physical Therapy Program