Dietetic Internship Program
Welcome 2018-19 Internship Class!
Front row, left to right: Caprisse Johnson, Kendra Blankenberger, Jessica Lincoln, and Tori Lilly
Back row, left to right: Allie Taylor, Lauren Boyd, Jessica Orscheln, Crissy Rybicki, and Amanda Herrmann
The Murray State University Dietetic Internship is designed to meet the competencies
for entry level dietetics practice and to prepare students for the Registration Examination
for Dietitians. The program has a Nutrition Therapy concentration and provides students
with a minimum of 1200 supervised practice hours in a variety of healthcare settings.
Prior to beginning the fall rotation, successful completion or evidence showing successful completion of a graduate writing course must be documented. This can be accomplished by:
- Taking the NTN 610 Scholarly Writing for Nutrition Professionals, 5 weeks (online), 3 credit hours.
- Submission of Master’s degree thesis or scholarly publication in a peer reviewed dietetics professional journal.
- Each intern is assigned to one of ten supervised practice sites in Kentucky and Tennessee. Although student preference is considered, placement at a requested practice site cannot be guaranteed.
- After orientation to the internship program on Murray State University's campus, students begin supervised practice at the assigned facility. Approximately 40 hours of supervised practice are completed per week. Distance education components are used to deliver internet-based instruction. Use of a personal computer with internet connection is required for the completion of distance learning activities.
- Interns complete supervised experiences in clinical nutrition, foodservice management, community nutrition and long-term care. An Advanced Clinical Practice experience is completed after clinical rotations. This experience allows the student to function independently as an entry level dietitian in the hospital setting. Preceptors in each healthcare institution oversee the experience and provide general management and mentorship. Murray State University Clinical Instructor Lori Crouch, M.S., R.D., L.D., assists students with project development, scheduling of experiences outside of the primary training site, and provides general guidance and direction in meeting curriculum requirements. The Clinical Instructor meets with students at their training sites throughout the course of the internship program.
- Twenty-three hours of graduate credit are earned during the internship program. Students wishing to pursue the Master's degree must pass the Registration Examination for Dietitians before continuing with graduate studies.
Internship Program Schedule of Courses
|Summer Semester||Duration (Weeks)||Credit Hours Earned|
|NTN 610||Scholarly Writing for Nutrition Professionals||5 (Online)||3|
|NTN 615||Supervised Professional Practice Primer||5 (Online)||2|
|TOTAL: 10||TOTAL: 5|
|Fall Semester||Duration (Weeks)||Credit Hours Earned|
|NTN 640||Dietetic Clinical Training Primer, Murray State Campus||1||1|
|NTN 641||Medical Nutrition Therapy I||7||4|
|NTN 642||Foodservice Management||5||2|
|NTN 643||Community Nutrition||5||2|
|TOTAL: 17||TOTAL: 9|
|Spring Semester||Duration (Weeks)||Credit Hours Earned|
|NTN 651||Nutrition Therapy II||8||4|
|NTN 652||Dietetics Clincial Practice in Long Term Care||4||2|
|NTN 653||Advanced Clinical Practice Experience||5||3|
|TOTAL: 17||TOTAL: 9|
All interns must be covered by health insurance while enrolled in the program. Evidence of coverage must be provided prior to beginning the Murray State internship program.
Healthcare Professional Liability Malpractice Insurance will be purchased by interns through Murray State University in the amount of 1,000,000/3,000,000. The cost of premiums vary each year.
The Dietetic Internship Program is accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- ACADEMY OF NUTRITION AND DIETETICS
- 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
- Chicago, Illinois 60606-6995
Any questions regarding accreditation may be directed to the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, the accrediting agency for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics at 1-800-877-1600, ext. 5400 or 312-899-0040, ext. 5400 or visit the Academy's website at www.eatright.org
For additional information and questions, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.