Nutrition & Dietetics
The mission of the Nutrition & Dietetics program at Murray State University is to prepare future food and nutrition professionals possessing strong skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and oral and written communication. For those students in the dietetics track, it is further the mission of the Nutrition & Dietetics program to prepare graduates for successful entry into an accredited Dietetic Internship. Graduates of the Nutrition & Dietetics program at Murray State University will be leaders and innovators in their respective disciplines.
- Accreditation Council for Education
- in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
- 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, Illinois 60606-6995
312-899- 0040, ext. 5400
Accreditation Granted for the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) in Nutrition Program
The Murray State University DPD Program within the School of Nursing and Health Professions, received accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) through June 2028. The ACEND Board's decision grants accreditation after the site review was completed in March 2020. The program offers two tracks under the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition major, and graduates are future leaders and innovators in their respective disciplines.
Program outcome data are available upon request.
Goal 1: Graduates will be prepared for entry into supervised professional practice.
- Objective 1: At least 80% of program students complete program/degree requirements within three years (150% of program length).
- Objective 2: 75% of program graduates apply for admission to a supervised practice program prior to or within 12 months of graduation.
- Objective 3: 50% of program graduates are admitted to a supervised practice program within 12 months of graduation.
- Objective 4: The program’s one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- Objective 5: At least 75% of directors of supervised practice programs will be satisfied with Murray State University DPD graduates’ preparedness for supervised practice.
- Objective 6: At least 75% of graduates who respond to the DPD graduate survey will report that they either “agree” or “strongly agree” that they felt adequately prepared for the dietetic internship program.
Goal 2: Graduates will be prepared for community engagement and contribution.
- Objective 1: At least 75% of graduates who respond to the DPD graduate survey will report that they either "agree" or "strongly agree" that their undergraduate curriculum fostered community engagement and contribution.
The Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
Each DPD must continually meet accreditation standards in order to maintain its accreditation. A report (self-study) must be prepared by the program and evaluated by ACEND every seven years for the program to be re-accredited; the Murray State DPD was re-accredited in 2013. In addition to the self-study submitted every seven years, yearly reports are also required to ensure the program is maintaining its quality.
Graduate Requirements 2024
Effective January 1, 2024, the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) will require a minimum of a master's degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). In addition, CDR requires that individuals complete coursework and supervised practice in program(s) accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). In the state of Kentucky, graduates also must obtain licensure to practice. Graduates who successfully complete the ACEND-accredited DPD at Murray State are eligible to apply to an ACEND-accredited supervise practice program.