Richmond College is named in honor of James H. Richmond, the university's 3rd president. From 1936 until 1945 it was known as the Murray State Teachers College. Richmond Hall became known as Richmond College when the university established the campus-wide residential college system in 1996. Murray State was the first public university in the nation with a successful, comprehensive residential college program. New Richmond was built later, as shown below on the right. Old Richmond is the oldest residential hall still in use at Murray State University. It was built in 1961 to house 242 men.
|Crest, Mascot and Colors|
|The crest includes a lion which signifies readiness to fight and protect. The crown is the crown of the heir. The shield is the official emblem of the university, the shape chosen for the Richmond coat of arms. Finally, the motto, "Reach," symbolizes that the members of Richmond College will always aspire to its morals and ethical code while striving to reach their high potential. Mainly composed of the color red, as well as dark blue, as those are the official Richmond colors.|
|Traditions and Annual Events|
At Murray State, Intramural Sports are provided so that students can be active and enjoy playing a sport with friends. Playing a sport with fellow Richmond students is a great way to be involved. Below is a list of the sports provided in the fall and spring semesters.
|The Residence Hall|
The new Richmond Residential College opened in 2009. The four-story building houses 270 students in suites, double rooms, and single rooms. Richmond has two large recreation rooms, study rooms on each floor, laundry rooms, and a billards room. Richmond has a total of 1300 assiciated members.
Connect with us!