Our ACT/SAT test-optional admissions (see qualifications below) provides greater access for eligible students. Your overall performance and accomplishments throughout high school is important to us! We are family. We are leaders. We are Racers.
- You must have received or be receiving a high school diploma or a GED certificate before the term for which you are applying.
- Submit an application for admission with a $40 application fee.
GPA and ACT/SAT test scores
- During the application, you will self-report your cumulative high school GPA. You must submit your official high school transcript after graduation.
- If your GPA is 2.0-2.99, you must also report your ACT or SAT test score on the application. You must submit your official test scores before Racer Nation Orientation and course registration.
- High school GPA of 3.0 or higher (no ACT/SAT test score required for admission decision).
- High School GPA of 2.0 - 2.99 with an ACT composite score of 18 or higher (SAT 960 or higher).
If you don't meet these benchmarks, you may have other admission options at Murray State University. Check out the Academic Bulletin for more information.
Tuition cost calculator
Use our simple calculator to estimate the cost of your tuition.
- Apply for admission
- Complete FAFSA
Apply for financial aid. FAFSA code: 001977
- Apply for scholarships
Once you've been admitted to Murray State, you can start applying for scholarships.
Apply beginning September 1.
- Apply for housing
Submit your housing application early for priority consideration.
Kentucky pre-college curriculum
- English I, II, III and IV (or AP English)
- Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry
- 1 life science, 1 physical science and 1 earth/space science (one of these must have a lab)
- 3 of the following: US History, economics, government, world geography or world civilization
- ½ unit of health
- ½ unit of physical education
- 1 unit of history and appreciation of visual/performing arts
- 5 electives
- For students who graduated from high school in 2004 or later, two units of one foreign language.
Note: Kentucky residents under the age of 21 must complete the state-mandated pre-college curriculum. All other applicants must complete a comparable college-preparatory curriculum.
Note: The Commonwealth of Kentucky requires each freshman to enroll in a subject-specific developmental course if the student's ACT score is below 18 in English, 19 in mathematics, or 20 in reading. SAT scores: verbal 470, math 460 or below. Additional developmental courses may be required by Murray State before a student will be permitted to advance to entry-level courses.
The mission of the Office of Undergraduate Admission is to admit eligible students to the University without regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, or geographic location. The staff provides superior customer service while mentoring students and parents through the admission process. We also work closely with high school counselors to successfully guide students through the admission process.