The Office of Research and Creative Activity
page last modified on 10/10/2020
Fall and Spring Scholars Week 2020-2021
During a designated week each semester, the Murray State community is encouraged to interact with showcases of academic and creative endeavors from our undergraduate and graduate students. Important dates for this academic year's Fall and Spring Scholars Week are as follows.
- Fall Scholars Week: November 16-20, 2020 (VIRTUAL-ONLY)
- *New in 2020* Images of Research Competition: This competition showcases and preserves students' research in print and digital form and fosters engagement and academic endeavors. Deadline to submit an image: October 30, 2020. Submit for Images of Reseach here.
- Recommended Deadline for students to submit an abstract: October 30, 2020
- Spring Scholars Week: Tentatively planned for April 12-16, 2021
- Recommended Deadline for students to submit an abstract: March 26, 2021
2020-2021 Research and Travel Grants
ORCA is pleased to announce the return of research and travel grants for students mentored by Murray State faculty members. On August 17, 2020, we will begin to accept proposals for the 2020-2021 academic year at Murray State's Digital Commons. Individual students may be awarded up to $1000 in research grants and $600 in travel support grants during an individual acaemic year. Proposal forms are available to download:
2020-2021 University Distinguished Mentor Award (UDMA)
The Office of Provost, in conjunction with the Office of Research and Creative Activity, is please to present the University Distinguished Mentor Award. This annual award will be presented to a member of Murray State's Faculty, nominated by their peers, in recognition of extraordinary efforts in the area of student mentoring, which is understood as a sustained partnership of mutual concern significantly fostering students’ intellectual, ethical and academic development above and beyond expectations of even excellent advising and teaching. Read more about the award and guidelines here.
- Deadline for nominations - January 29, 2021
- Deadline for nominees to submit information - February 12, 2021
- Award presented at Faculty Recognition Banquet (tentative) - Thursday, April 15, 2021
Posters-at-the-Capitol is a showcase of 120+ unique scholarly efforts led by undergraduate students from each state-funded university in the Commonwealth. During the one-day event, students present their faculty-mentored projects to those responsible for crafting higher education policy in Kentucky. This event is proudly hosted by Murray State University.
- As of October 9, 2020, the Posters-at-the-Capitol event originally scheduled for March 4, 2021 has been postponed due to ongoing health concerns. We hope to return in 2022 for our 20th annual event.