Faculty and Staff Resources
Faculty and Staff Getting Started Guide
How Starfish is "One Less Thing" for Faculty
Starfish Basics and Cool Features (PDF)
Access Your Starfish Account through myGate or Canvas
- myGate: Log into myGate and find the Starfish Student Success Network link on the Teaching/Advising tab or Employee tab. Students can also access their account via myGate.
- Canvas: Click on the Starfish Integration link in your course in Canvas. Be sure to enable this for students also so they can access Starfish via Canvas.
Supporting student adoption of the Starfish Student Success Network is important. Making students aware of Starfish begins inside the classroom. Introducing the Starfish Student Success Network as a student success tool on the first day of class will give students a chance to get to know the system early on and understand how it might benefit them—either through automatic email notifications of low grades or inactivity or through accessing their support network in Starfish.
Starfish Student Success Network:
Your success is important! This course is part of the Murray State University student success initiative that utilizes the Starfish Student Success Network. Starfish may be used to communicate with you about your academic progress and get you help if you need it. Throughout the term, you may receive emails regarding your attendance, course grades or academic performance. To benefit, it is important that you check your Murray State email regularly and follow through on recommended actions. You may also be contacted directly by others on campus who care about your academic success and personal well-being. This may include your academic advisor and staff from Student Engagement and Success and other student support offices across campus. Starfish provides you with the opportunity to “Raise Your Hand” if you need help. Take advantage of this and other features by logging into your Starfish account through myGate. More information can be found at Murray State Starfish.
The Raised Flag and Kudo Message Templates provide you with a view of the messages sent to students when flags or kudos are raised for a student. These messages have been customized to Murray State. When you raise a flag or kudo, you can add your own comments. The students will see your comments in the academic flags and all kudo messages they receive so please address the student and write a constructive message for the student.
- Flag: Raise a flag to alert the student and success staff about concerns you have for the student's success. The comments you enter on an academic flag are seen by the student. Outreach is conducted by student success staff.
- Kudo: Send a kudo to reinforce positive behaviors. Your comments are seen by the student.
- Note: You can create a note that can be viewed by the student as an email to them if you select "send to student" in the note creation template. If you don't select "send to student", the message will not be seen by the student. When sending a note/email to the student, you can see a read receipt on the note.