Advising information for Mathematics and Statistics
On this page you will find information and documents that will help you choose courses in mathematics and statistics that are appropriate for your major or satisfy a university studies requirement.
- Freshman advising sheets (non-majors), most useful to non-majors taking mathematics and statistics as university studies courses, advisors.
- Course offerings list by semester, useful to non-majors, majors, and their advisors.
Advising sheets for mathematics majors, based on the 2014-15 Bulletin. For previous Bulletins see here.
4-year sample semester-by-semester schedule for:
- Mathematics Major starting with: MAT 150 MAT 250
- Math. / Secondary Certification Area starting with: MAT 150 MAT 250
- Math. / Secondary Certification Major starting with: MAT 150 MAT 250
- Mathematics / Applied Mathematics Area starting with: MAT 150 MAT 250
- Mathematics / Pre-MBA Area starting with: MAT 150 MAT 250
Academic plans (lists of courses and how to fulfill requirements)
- B.S. Mathematics Major
- B.S. Mathematics/Secondary Certification Area
- B.S. Mathematics/Secondary Certification Major
- B.S. Mathematics/Applied Mathematics Area
- B.S. Mathematics/Pre-MBA Area
- B.A. Mathematics Major
- B.A. Mathematics/Secondary Certification Area
- B.A. Mathematics/Secondary Certification Major
- B.A. Mathematics/Applied Mathematics Area
- B.A. Mathematics/Pre-MBA Area
Sample semester-by-semester schedules for transfer students coming in with an Associate's degree. Students without an Associate's degree are best served by the standard advising sheets above.
- Mathematics Major (Transfer)
- Mathematics / Secondary Certification Area (Transfer)
- Mathematics / Secondary Certification Major (Transfer)
- Mathematics / Applied Mathematics Area (Transfer)
- Mathematics / Pre-MBA Area (Transfer)
Frequently asked questions: non-majors
I have taken MAT 140. My advisor says I need to take MAT 150 for my degree, but I see I cannot receive credit for both MAT 140 and 150. What should I do?
Take MAT 145: the combination of MAT 140 and MAT 145 is equivalent to MAT 150.
I am taking MAT 117 because my advisor says it is a prerequisite (or will help me) in MAT 140 (or some other higher-numbered course). This way I am at least earning college credit.
MAT 117 is not a prerequisite for any MAT course. It also has nothing in common with other MAT courses, so will not really help you with any other MAT course.
Frequently asked questions: majors
Which computer-science courses count for my computer programming requirement as a mathematics major?
Take any of CSC 145, CSC 232, CSC 235 or EGR 140.