Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

To apply for the following Federal awards: Perkins Loan, Direct Subsidized Loan, Direct Unsubsidized Loan, Nursing Loan, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Pell Grant, and Federal Work-Study, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Priority Filing Dates

The FAFSA opens in December.

We urge you to complete the FAFSA application. All available awards will be considered to determine your maximum financial aid eligibility. Our office encourages all students to apply as soon as possible starting in December to be considered for funding that is limited.

Senior in High School or a Transfer Student Filing

If you are in your senior year of high school or if you are a transfer student you are already eligible to apply. You do not have to be accepted at Murray State University to apply for aid. You will, of course, have to be enrolled in school before you actually receive your financial aid.

Complete the FAFSA every year

You must complete a new FAFSA or a Renewal FAFSA for each academic year. If you plan to attend summer sessions, a new Murray State financial aid application is required. However, if a FAFSA or a Renewal FAFSA for the academic year before the summer sessions is on file, you do not need to complete another FAFSA for the summer sessions beginning before July 1.

Financing an Education

Your family is considered your main source for your college education. One goal of the Student Financial Aid and Scholarship Offices is to compare the costs of attending Murray State with the financial contributions, if any, that will be made by you and/or your family. This is done by finding the difference between the total cost of attending school and your family's ability to help with the costs. The basis for determining need is the processed financial aid form. Financially independent students will file using their own income-assets information and that of their spouse, if applicable. Costs include room and meals, registration fees, books and supplies, personal expenses and travel.

In determining your, your family’s, or your spouse’s capacity to help, the following are considered:

  • Your parent’s income and assets, family size, family members attending college, etc.
  • Social Security, Veterans Administration, Rehabilitation or other benefits received by you or your parents.
  • Your own income and assets.
  • Your spouse’s income and resources, if you are married.
  • Your receipt of non-university scholarships and/or other resources.

Financial Aid Eligibility

The main factor used to determine grant and loan eligibility is your financial need. All students, regardless of family income level, are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student AId (FAFSA). Upon completion of the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education. This report includes your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The financial aid staff uses your EFC and Cost of Attendance (tuition, Room and Board, Fees, etc) to determine your need and then strives to assist you in meeting that need.

  • Enrollment in a program of study abroad, approved for credit by Murray State, may be considered enrollment for purposes of applying for federal student financial assistance.
  • Undergraduate credit hours will not count toward enrollment status for graduate students.
  • By properly completing and submitting the appropriate financial aid forms on a timely basis, you will be considered for the Pell Grant and/or other state grants.

Other awards will then be made based upon the program choices you listed on your Murray State application. The Murray State Financial Aid and Scholarship Offices follow federal guidelines by giving priority to students with the greatest need. Preference will also be given to eligible Federal Perkins Student Loan and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant applicants who file their forms by April 1.

Selection of students also depends upon the guidelines of each individual program and the availability of funds.

Over 70 percent of the students at Murray State receive some kind of financial aid from federal, state or university sources. You will be notified by a letter of the final decision on your application.

Federal regulations require that applicants for federal financial aid be citizens or eligible non-citizens of the United States.

Reporting ALL Financial Resources

Federal and state regulations require the Financial Aid and Scholarship Offices to monitor all student resources. Such resources include non-university scholarships and other financial benefits. If these resources are not reported and are later uncovered, the student’s aid package may be adjusted or repayment of financial aid received may be required.

Payment and Repayment of Financial Aid

All loan and grant payments administered by the University will be made by check or credit. Student employment paychecks are issued bi-weekly and are made payable to the student. All university fees and charges are due no later than the beginning of the semester. Murray State has a payment plan available through the Bursar’s Office.

If you receive a university-administered scholarship, you will receive credit for your award. The amount you will owe to Murray State will show your university scholarship credit. Any financial aid award is subject to the actual receipt of funds appropriated to Murray State University by federal and/or state governments.

Requirements to Continue to Receive Financial Aid

To remain eligible, you must:

  • Meet the minimum requirements of the policy governing satisfactory academic progress as outlined in the policies on this site.
  • File properly completed, correct, and up to date application with the Financial Aid and Scholarship Offices.
  • If you are a student worker, you must be a satisfactory employee by being prompt, regular, cooperative and willing to learn.
  • Meet individual aid program guidelines.
  • Sign any papers required for receipt of aid awards.
  • Report any changes to the Financial Aid Office.


You must complete a new FAFSA or a Renewal FAFSA for each academic year you wish to receive federal aid. If you plan to attend summer sessions, if a FAFSA or a Renewal FAFSA for the academic year before the summer sessions is on file, you do not need to complete another Free Application for the summer sessions beginning before July 1.

The type and amount of aid available for summer school depends on the total combination of how much you used during the fall and spring semester in the academic year (at Murray State or any other school combined). To be considered for summer financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA (if you have not already done so for the prior fall and spring academic year).

Murray State's FAFSA code is 001977.

Repaying Student Loans

Upon leaving school, whether by dropping below 1/2 time, withdrawing, or graduating, you must complete exit counseling with our office. During this counseling, you will learn valuable information about loan repayment, entitlements, deferment, and repayment incentives and options.

Take the next step

© Murray State University Department of Web ManagementWe are Racers.