Information for Parents

As the parent of a college student, there may be times that you are concerned about your child's mental health and well-being. Being informed about mental health services available on campus can offer some reassurance.

There is help available for your student on campus. If you are concerned about your student, first encourage them to come to University Counseling Services at C104 Oakley Applied Science building. They can complete paperwork and speak to an on-call counselor Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Our services are free and confidential. Due to the confidential nature of counseling, your student's counseling information cannot be shared with you unless they give written permission, but your knowledge and encouragement of counseling can be an important step in your student getting the help they need. Please understand that ultimately, it is your student's decision as a legal adult to participate or not participate in counseling.

If you are concerned about your child's immediate safety, such as in a crisis or emergency situation, please contact Murray State Police at 270.809.2222. Campus police officers can do a welfare check on your student if necessary, and they can help your student get connected with the services and resources they need. For more information about crisis/emergency situations, please go to the "Emergency Information" section on the main page.

If you have other concerns about your child's academic progress  or adjustment to college, you can contact Peggy Whaley in the Office of Student Engagement and Success at or 270.809.2274.

Take the next step

© Murray State University Department of Web ManagementWe are Racers.