Declaring or Changing an Area or Major

When do I have to declare a major?

Students must declare a major or area by the time they earn 45 credit hours. An undergraduate student who has a major (as opposed to an area) must also declare a second major or a minor by the time they earn 60 credit hours. Visit Career Services Resources for choosing an area or major.

How do I declare or change my area or major?

For a change of area, major, and/or minor, complete the online form found on the Registrar's website.

How do I get an Academic Advisor in my new department?

An Academic Advisor will be assigned to you when you declare your new area or major. Your Academic Advisor's name is found on your myGate Academics tab.

How do I change my Academic Advisor?

See your department chair or program coordinator. If this is not possible, see your Dean or contact the Coordinator of Academic Advising at for help.

Can I change my minor?

Yes. You can change your minor when you change your major, OR you can contact the Registrar's Office to change your minor.

Do I have a minor Academic Advisor

YES. Every minor has a designated Academic Advisor. Check with the department chair or department administrative assistant to find the minor Academic Advisor.

TIP: On RACR, use the What-If feature (on left of screen) to view your academic program with a change of degree, area, major, minor, concentration/field, Bulletin year. Check out this short video on how to use the What-If feature.

Trying to find the Major or Area that is right for you? Check out the Major and Career Exploration page.

Take the next step

© Murray State University Department of Web ManagementWe are Racers.