Do you enjoy helping people and want to be an advocate for social change?
A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Human Services will prepare you for a career in a wide variety of community service settings. This degree will prepare you to respond to everyday human struggles as well as complex problems in today’s global society. You will gain the skills and knowledge necessary to work in the area of human services.
Graduates of this program are proficient in:
- human development and learning theories
- delivering effective and impactful programs
- assessment of client needs in the context of community organizations, social action and laws
- leadership and group engagement
- ethical decision making
- advocacy for policy and law reforms
- cross-cultural engagement
- support for marginalized and diverse communities
Potential careers include:
- social services
- child advocacy
- human services direct care
- family resources
- child protection
Be a step ahead for graduate school.
This degree will prepare you to continue on to several different graduate programs, including counseling and postsecondary education administration.
Enjoy flexibility as you earn your bachelor’s degree.
Earn a bachelor’s in human services on your own schedule. Semester-long, online courses are perfect for working professionals or for those who do not have access to one of Murray State’s campuses.
This degree is offered in conjunction with local community colleges. Students may earn a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts in Human Services. Please note that the available BA and BS degrees have different curriculum requirements.
- University Studies Requirements — 38-44 hrs
- Required Courses — 37 hrs
- EDU 100T Transitions ( waived for transfer students with 36+ hours)
- CNS 200 Professional Communications in Human Services
- CNS 210 Understanding and Evaluating Human Services Organizations
- CNS 319 Professional Interpersonal Skills
- CNS 325 Professional Orientation and Ethics in Human Services
- CNS 334 Family Issues and Guidance
- CNS 352 Domestic Violence and Crisis Situations
- CNS 371 Diversity and Advocacy in Human Services
- CNS 492 Leadership and Group Skills
- CNS 494 Practicum in Human Services
- CNS 495 Internship in Human Services
- EDP 260 Psychology of Human Development GUI 100 Self-Development and Career Exploration
- Required Minor — 21 hrs
- Unrestricted Electives — 18-25 hr
Total Curriculum Requirements — 120 hrs