Click the arrow for more information.
Need to Meet with a Career Services Staff Member? Check our appointment options below!
We offer a variety of different appointment options for students, faculty, staff, and alumni! You can schedule an appointment with us by going to murraystate.joinhandshake.com, email us at email@example.com or call our office at 270.809.3735.
Some of the appointments we offer include:
- Resume & Cover Letter Review - Receive one-on-one help with your resume and cover letter
- Career Counseling - Basic counseling as it relates to career and educational choice
- Major Counseling - Discover what major you should be in or what you can do with your current major
- Internship Counseling - Assistance finding internships and filling out paperwork
- Job Search - Receive help on finding and searching for the right job
- Interview Coaching - Practice your interview skills in a general or customized mock interview
- Professional Headshots - Come get your professional headshot taken for free!
and much more...
Career Closet - Now Open on a Conditional Basis. Please make an Appointment through Handshake!
Featuring various sizes of slightly-used business professional clothing, Racers have
the opportunity to come in and 'shop' for suits, shirts, skirts, blouses, shoes, and
other accessories. Find something you like? You get to keep it - for no charge! One
outfit per student per semester, please.
Please make an appointment on Handshake in order to take advantage of the Career Closet.
Career Closet Donation Guidelines - No Donations can be accepted at this time due to COVID-19!
Thinking about donating to the Career Closet? That’s wonderful!
What we take: Suits, dress shirts, slacks, skirts, blouses, belts, and dress shoes
What we don’t take: Casual clothing (sneakers, jeans, yoga pants, t-shirts, etc) OR formal wear (prom
dresses, tuxedos, etc)
In order to best serve our students, we have the following guidelines for donations:
- Clothing should be clean
- Donations should be free from holes/rips/tears
- Clothing shouldn’t have any stains
- Shoes should be able to take a shine
- Given that students will be wearing these clothes to interviews and events, donations
should be of
recent vintage and appropriate styling
View Recorded Career Labs & Instructional Videos!
Looking for recordings of our career labs and other help videos? Check out our YouTube Channel!
You can follow this link: Murray State University Career Services YouTube Channel
search "Murray State University Career Services" in the search bar on YouTube!
Make sure to subscribe to stay up to date on our videos!
Assessments & Resources
Choosing a major and career path is a process, and there are many resources on campus to help you purposefully navigate this process.
- FOCUS 2 (Access Code: racers) This is a self-paced, career and education planning tool that enables you to self-assess your career relevant personal qualities and explore career fields and major areas of study that are most compatible with your assessment results.)
- MyMajors: Tell us about yourself in a quick survey and we'll generate a list of programs that we think might fit you best at Murray State University.
- My Next Move (Evaluate interests as they relate to career choice)
- 16Personalities (Evaluate strengths & weaknesses, suitable careers, approach to relationships based on personality)
- MSU Majors, Minors & Programs
- What Can I do with a Major in...?
- Learn How to Become...
- Majors Search (Princeton Review)
- Buzzfile (find employers by major and location)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Pathways after a Bachelor's Degree (US Census)
- Four Year Career Plan
- How to Choose a Major Tip Sheet
- MSU Academic Advising
- MSU Center for Academic Success
- MSU Office of Student Engagement and Success
Candid Career - Learn about different career paths!
With Candid Career, you have thousands of videos at your fingertips! Learn about different careers directly from those who are in them!
Click the "Candid Career" logo to access the website or simply click a video in the widget below!
Murray State Career Services is excited to help coach our international undergraduate and graduate students in the career development process that includes developing the following for a successful transition to the world of work in the United States and in their home countries:
- Professional behavior and etiquette
- Resume/curriculum vitae and cover letter development
- Interview skills
- Networking skills
- Major Selection/Career Exploration
- Murray State Academic Advising: Contact for help communicating with your academic advisor
- Murray State Career Services: Contact for help with career/major choice and job search strategies
- Murray State Office of International Student and Scholar Services: Contact for help with support services that relate to your status as an international student in the United States
- Murray State Office of Student Engagment & Success: Contact for help addressing the following issues: campus involvement, family obligations, financial concerns, homesickness, major/career direction, roommate issues, study habits/tips, time management
- Resume Tip Sheet
- Curriculum Vitae Tip Sheet
- Cover Letter Tip Sheet
- Career Handbook
- Resume & Cover Letter Writing Tips Presentation
Job Search Assistance
Career Services provides resources and services to assist Murray State Alumni with their job search. Please review the following available resources and contact us as needed:
- Career Services Events: Attend career fairs and workshops on campus.
- Career Handbook: Review this comprehensive job search guide.
- Handshake: Search for job postings and post your resume to connect with hiring employers.
- Web Resources: Explore additional resources such as tip sheets, job search tips, resume tips and more!
Consider joining the Murray State Alumni Association as well.
Do you want to hire a fellow Racer?
Through Handshake you can post jobs and internships, screen public resumes, sign-up for on-campus interviews and register for career fairs. Please contact us if you are interested in providing job shadowing, networking and/or training opportunities for Murray State students as well. For more information, go to Employer Information.
National Student Exchange (NSE)
The National Student Exchange program allows Murray State University students to leave Murray State and exchange to another NSE member college or university. The classes taken at the host college or university count towards the student's chosen degree at Murray State so forestalling graduation isn't an issue. The student may pay tuition to Murray State or the host school's in-state tuition rate.
Kentucky residents, your KEES money can assist you with tuition at Murray State while you attend another college or university. Some scholarships can be utilized with this NSE program. Student financial aid is also fully accepted as a financial option with this program.
NACE First Destination Survey 2016
- Presentation Request
- Career Services staff are happy to present to student groups. Please complete the request, and someone will get in touch with you within 48 business hours.