The School Psychology programs at Murray State University prepare students to become skilled clinicians and problem solvers, serving children, schools, and families in today’s schools. Students take coursework in school-based psychoeducational assessment, intervention, consultation, and program evaluation to build competencies for professional practice as a certified school psychologist. Our programs offer specialized, hands-on training to identify educational needs of diverse learners through assessing students’ social, behavioral, and intellectual functioning.
Our 60-hour Ed.S. degree program in School Psychology received full approval by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) and the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Graduates are eligible for Kentucky certification in School Psychology and the Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) credential.
Why Choose Murray State?
There are many School Psychology training programs across the country, so what makes Murray State’s program special?
- Hybrid Classes - We offer a blend of in-person, online, and virtual courses. Please note, not all required courses are available online and students will need to take some classes on the Murray State Campus.
- Nationally Accredited - Our Ed.S. program is dual-credentialed by both CAEP and NASP, the highest training recognitions available in our field.
- Experienced Faculty - All of our School Psychology faculty are trained school psychologists and doctoral-level psychologists.
- Graduate Assistantships - We offer both clinical and teaching assistantships each semester. Our goal is to
provide assistantships to all School Psychology students who wish to have one.
- Specialization opportunities - In addition to on-campus clinics, our program maintains a verified coursework sequence (VCS) in applied behavior analysis (ABA). More than half of these courses are embedded in our coursework sequence and are geared toward school-based practice.
- Respecialization - Although our Ed.S. degree program is the more popular route, we are proud to offer the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) in School Psychology for applicants with a related Master's degree. Please contact the Program Director, Dr. Sean Simons for more information about the CAGS route.
- We are invested in your success - Our student-centered, family-friendly program features individual advising, small class sizes, student-faculty project opportunities, and visible students roles at school psychology conferences
Degree and Training Opportunities
Education Specialist (Ed.S.) in School Psychology Program
This 60-credit hour degree program prepares students to meet the requirements for certification as school psychologists.
Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies
6th Year Certification Program in School Psychology - Applicants with a Master’s degree can pursue a certificate in school psychology, which leads to an endorsement and/or certification to work in PK-12 schools in Kentucky.
Learn More about School Psychology
For more information, check out The Hub, our website for centralizing forms and logistics. Most links will only work for
current students, but you’ll be able to access our Program handbook and Coursework sequence there.