Lowry Tutoring Center
We offer free tutoring in a variety of University studies courses to any current Murray State student. For the Fall 2022 semester, some biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics sessions will be in person as well as through Penji. All other subjects will be strictly online through Penji. You will use Penji to find and book an online session with a tutor. You can find a section of information on Penji below, including how to sign up and step-by-step instructions on how to book a session. At the bottom of the page, you will find links with additional videos and information.
An MSU Single Sign On has been set up for the app. This means that you should be able to sign on with your Murray State email and password, and then create your account and use the SSO button for future log-ins.
Currently Offered Courses
Our center covers a list of University studies courses. Below are all of our current offerings for Fall 2022. Courses not listed in the in-person section are tutoring sessions offered through Penji (online) only:
- ACC: 200
- BIO: 100/101, 115, 216, 221, 222, 227/228
- CHE: 101, 105, 111, 201, 202, 310, 311
- CIV: 202
- CSC: 101, 145, 199
- ECO: 230
- FRE: 101, 102, 201, 202
- JPN: 101, 201
- MAT: 110, 117, 140, 145, 150, 250
- NLS: 290
- PHY: 130, 131, 132, 133
- POL: 140
- PSY: 180, 260
- SOC: 133
- SPA: 101, 102, 201, 202
- STA: 135
- Study Skills
Tutoring for Fall 2022 begins Tuesday, September 6th, and ends Friday, December 2nd. Log in to the Penji app to check for available days and times. All Zoom sessions are by appointment only. To ensure a tutor can meet with you at your requested time, please schedule the meeting AT LEAST 5 hours in advance (not including hours between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m.).
In-person tutoring for some Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics courses will begin Monday, September 19th. All in-person tutoring sessions are on a drop-in basis. Sessions will be held on the first floor of the Lowry Center in room 1A. Days, times, and courses covered are listed below. *Tutoring for Accounting 200 will begin Tuesday, November 7th.*
Courses covered from 2:30-4:30:
BIO 100, 101, 115, 216
CHE 101, 105, 201, 202
MAT 110, 117, 140, 145, 150, 250
PHY 131, 132, 133
Courses covered from 9:00-1:00:
BIO: 100, 101, 115, 216
CHE: 101, 105, 201, 202
MAT: 110, 117, 140, 145, 150, 250
Other Tuesday/Thursday options:
9:30-1:00 PHY 130, 131, 132, 133
10:00-1:00 BIO 221, 222 & CHE 111, 310, 311
11:30-1:00 STA 135 Thursdays only
10:45-12:15 Tuesday/10:45-1:00 Thursday ACC 200 (begins 11/8 - none 11/10)
How to Start
- Download the Penji app from the Apple or Google Play store. You can also access the app on the web at Penji App.
- Log on with your Murray State University Single Sign On (SSO) which should be your Murray State email address and password.
- Once you’re logged in, finish setting up your account, including added your courses.
Scheduling a Session
- Once you’re logged in, choose the “Learn” screen.
- Click “Schedule an appointment” and choose your course.
- Pick your time from the list of those available. Sessions run in either 15 or 30 minute increments.
- Choose a tutor. For some subjects and times, there will be multiple options.
- Select that you would like a Zoom location (currently the only option for our center).
- Fill in your Topic – give whatever information that you have so that your tutor can prepare the best way to help you. Let you tutor know if you just need homework help on a certain section, if you have slides you’d like to review, or even if you have a study guide you can share with them.
- Review all the information and make sure it’s correct. Then click “Continue”.
- You should now be able to see the appointment you made and its details on your Activity Feed.
- The tutor you selected will receive a notification of the appointment and will then confirm their availability.
- Once the tutor accepts the invite, you will receive a notification. The app will update with the Zoom meeting link you will use to access your appointment. You will also receive an email with the Zoom link.
After the Appointment
Once your appointment is over, you will be prompted in the app to provide feedback on your session. Please let us know your thoughts so we can either make adjustments to our sessions or to call out a tutor who is doing a great job!
Here is a video walk through of the process:
For additional tutoring options, please refer to the Murray State University LibGuides page.