Welcome to the Lowry Tutoring Center information page!
We offer free tutoring in a variety of University studies courses to any current Murray State student. For the Fall 2021 semester, some biology, chemistry, and mathematics sessions will be in person as well as through Penji. All other subjects will be strictly online through Penji. You will use Penji to find and book an online session with a tutor. Our drop-in hours are listed below. You can find a section of information on Penji below, including how to sign up and step-by-step instructions on how to book a session. At the bottom of the page, you will find links with additional videos and information.
An MSU Single Sign On has been set up for the app. This means that you should be able to sign on with your Murray State email and password, and then create your account and use the SSO button for future log-ins.
Currently Offered Courses
Our center covers a list of University studies courses. Here are our current offerings for Fall 2021:
- BIO: 101, 103, 115, 221, 227, 228
- CHE: 101, 105, 111, 201, 202, 310, 311
- CIV: 201
- EES: 101, 102, 103, 125, 199, 210, 301
- HUM: 211
- JPN: 101, 201
- MAT: 110, 115, 117, 130, 140, 145, 150, 215, 220, 230, 250
- PHI: 103, 142, 201, 202
- PHY: 130-133
- POL: 140
- PSY: 180
- SOC: 133
- SPA: 101, 102, 201
- STA : 135
Tutoring for Fall 2021 begins Monday, August 30th and ends Friday, December 3rd. Log in to the Penji app to check for available days and times. All Zoom sessions are by appointment only. To ensure a tutor can meet with you at your requested time, please schedule the meeting AT LEAST 5 hours in advance (not including hours between 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.).
In-Person tutoring begins Thursday, September 2nd for the above listed Biology, Chemistry, and Math courses. Sessions will be held on Mondays from 11:00-4:00 in LC 1A and Thursdays from 11:00-4:00 in LC 1D (math tutoring available 11:00-12:00 and 2:00-4:30 on Thursdays). These sessions are drop-in only.
How to Start
- Download the Penji app from the Apple or Google Play store. You can also access the app on the web at web.penjiapp.com
- Log on with your Murray State University Single Sign On (SSO) which should be your Murray State email address and password.
- Once you’re logged in, finish setting up your account, including added your courses.
Scheduling a Session
- Once you’re logged in, choose the “Learn” screen.
- Click “Schedule an appointment” and choose your course.
- Pick your time from the list of those available. Sessions run in either 15 or 30 minute increments.
- Choose a tutor. For some subjects and times, there will be multiple options.
- Select that you would like a Zoom location (currently the only option for our center).
- Fill in your Topic – give whatever information that you have so that your tutor can prepare the best way to help you. Let you tutor know if you just need homework help on a certain section, if you have slides you’d like to review, or even if you have a study guide you can share with them.
- Review all the information and make sure it’s correct. Then click “Continue”.
- You should now be able to see the appointment you made and its details on your Activity Feed.
- The tutor you selected will receive a notification of the appointment and will then confirm their availability.
- Once the tutor accepts the invite, you will receive a notification. The app will update with the Zoom meeting link you will use to access your appointment. You will also receive an email with the Zoom link.
After the Appointment
- Once your appointment is over, you will be prompted in the app to provide feedback on your session. Please let us know your thoughts so we can either make adjustments to our sessions or to call out a tutor who is doing a great job!
Here is a video walk through of the process:
If you have any questions or concerns, or if you are interested in becoming a tutor, contact Sarah Williams at 270.809.6267 or email@example.com.