- Ph.D., Political Science, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale
- MPA, Western Kentucky University
- B.A., University of Southern Indiana
Teaching and Research Interests
- Public Budgeting and Finance
- Program Evaluation
- Policy Analysis
- Research Methods
- Nonprofit Management
- POL 660 Research Methods
- POL 673 Public Budgeting and Finance
- POL 688 Public Administration Capstone 1
- POL 689 Public Administration Capstone 2
Dr. Jeremy Phillips joined the faculty at Murray State University in the fall of 2022. He teaches courses in the Master of Public Aministration program with a focus in public budgeting, program evaluation, policy analysis, and research methods. Dr. Phillips also serves as the Director of the MPA program. His research focuses on issues related to fiscal management at the state and local levels, and has been published in journals such as International Review of Public Administration and Public Finance and Management. Dr. Phillips also privately consults with a wide variety of organizations on matters related to strategic management, program evaluation, and grant writing.
Dr. Phillips received his Ph.D. from Southern Illinois University with an emphasis in Public Administration and American Politics.
- Unreserved Fund Balance Management Practices in US Counties. In E. Stazyk and R. Davis, eds. Handbook of Motivation Research in Public Administration. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing. (2022). With LaShonda Stewart and John Hamman.
- Authorization of Emergency Financial Managers. In Stabile, B. and T.T. Neaves, eds. Managing Challenges for the Flint Water Crisis. Washington, DC: Westphalia Press (2021).
- Rainy Day Fund Adoption Across US States: A Case of Learning or Emulation. International Review of Public Administration. (2015). With LaShonda Stewart and Cleopatra Grizzle.
- How Much is Too Much? Assessing Local Governments' Optimal Savings Levels. Public Finance and Management. Vol. 13 No. 4. (2014). With LaShonda Stewart.
- Information Security in Nonprofits: A First Glance at the State of Security in Two Illinois Regions. Journal of Information Systems Applied Research. Vol. 7, 29-38. (2014). With Tom Imboden, Drew Seib, and Sue Fiorentino.
- How are Nonprofit Organizations Influenced to Create and Adopt Information Security Policies? Issues in Information Systems. Vol. 14, 45-59. (2013). With Tom Imboden, Drew Seib, and Sue Fiorentino.