Frequently Asked Questions

During the many years we have worked with students and parents, we have compiled a list of questions you may have. We hope that through these questions, you can find the answers you are seeking. If there are other questions you have or if you need additional information concerning our halls, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday during the academic year and 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday - Friday during summer months (June and July) and can be reached at 270.809.2310 or toll free at 1.877.551.7774 or email us at

Search for your question using the box below.

How do I apply for on campus housing? 

To access your application, you must have a university issued M# before you can begin the online application process. The online application is accessible through myGate. Instructions on how to apply for housing online.

How much is the housing deposit? Do scholarships cover it?

If you live on campus, you must pay the $150 housing deposit. The deposit cannot be covered by scholarship and we cannot waive this fee. This deposit is a security/damage deposit for the room. The deposit must be paid by credit card, debit card or electronic check as part of the online housing application process. The deposit is refundable upon you leaving the residence hall and canceling their reservation online if you cancel by June 1st.

When will I receive my room assignment?

We begin making assignments for new applicant’s mid-June. You will be notified by email when you can go back into your application to see your assignment and contact information for your roommate. You can expect to receive a notification of your assignment by the end of the first week of July.  

What if I do not receive one of my requested choices of residence hall or roommate?

We will do our best to place you in one of the choices listed on your application. Due to factors such as the date we receive applications, changes in original preferences, and changes in roommate choices, we cannot guarantee that we can grant your requests. If, however, we are unable to grant that request before school begins, we will conduct more than 600 room changes after the start of the semester. Please note: We cannot guarantee building preference or roommate preference when applying after January 1.

What if I want to room with someone I met at Racer Nation Orientation?

We cannot make any changes unless both, you and your roommate, have a deposit and application on file. Both, you and your roommate, need to email the Housing office. We will strive to grant the request before August and the opening of school, but because of space limitations, we may not be able to grant this request. If we are unable to grant that request before school begins, we will conduct over 600 room changes after the start of the semester.

Are private rooms available for Fall semester?

For the 2024-2025 academic year, we are offering private rooms only to returning students in Regents Hall. This is able to be offered to returning students from the beginning of the semester on a first come, first serve basis.  If a student want to take advantage of this opportunity, please follow the instructions that will be emailed to them during the returning student housing application process. If you have a documented medical condition that would necessitate you having a private room, you will need to contact Student Disabilities Services to receive a medical accommodation. 

Are all the residence halls co-ed and what does this mean?

All halls are co-ed and most have 1 mixed gendered floor. At Murray State, co-ed living is set up differently depending on the building you are assigned. In Elizabeth, Hester, Hart, Regents and RH White, the males live on the lower floors and the females live on the upper floors. In HC Franklin, Lee Clark and JH Richmond, the buildings are co-ed by wings. This means that, for example, on the 1st floor, one wing of the building will house females and the other wing on the first floor will house males. In our mixed gendered floors, you will live with someone who is the same gender as you, but you can live next to someone of a different gender.  

Are there any gender inclusive housing options?

Murray State University and The Department of Housing and Residence Life are strongly committed to providing a safe and secure living environment for all students, empowering them to be their authentic selves as part of an inclusive residence hall community. As such, the Housing Office wants to create the opportunity for each of its students to express their housing needs and, when possible, have those requests honored by the Housing Office. For students whose gender identities are not accurately represented in the standard housing application process, the Housing Office can assist you in making sure your room assignment is a safe and comfortable one. Six of our eight residence halls on campus have mixed-gendered floors - these floor communities are not identified by a single gender, and students live next to others who may not necessarily have their same gender identity. If you would like more information or would like to request to live on one of these mixed-gendered floors, please contact the Housing Office at or call 207.809.2310. For further assistance in navigating similar support across other campus departments, students can visit and/or contact the Murray State Pride Center.

What can I do to decorate my room?

Each room is furnished with beds, desks, closets and drawer space. We encourage you to personalize your room. There are many ways to make residential hall rooms more like a home away from home. One of the first steps is for both roommates to take time to decide how you would like your room to look. Coordinating bedspreads, rugs, throw pillows and plants are ways to begin. There are a variety of ways to arrange the furniture in the room; creativity may be used. You can add approved furniture to your room, but you cannot remove furniture from your room. A charge will be placed for the replacement value for any items missing from a room when check out occurs. All rooms in Murray State residence halls are painted on an as needed basis, with the Office of Facilities Management making the decision of where to paint. Please note that if you use command strips or other items to put things on your walls, you must be extra careful in removing these items when you move out. Any damage to the wall as a result of removing these items will result in a charge for repair placed on your account.

Can I loft my bed? 

Yes! Murray State partners with Bedloft to provide students with a loft rental program. This is the only approved loft allowed at Murray State. Renting a loft is an easy, affordable way to create additional living space in your room. Students may pre-order a loft at Bedloft for easy pick up on move-in day. Lofts may also be rented on move-in day, but quantities will be limited.

What are the standard bed sizes?

The mattress size in Hart, Regents and RH White is a standard 75” long. These beds will accommodate the regular size twin and bunk fitted sheets. Elizabeth, Hester, Lee Clark, HC Franklin and JH Richmond have 80” mattresses.

How do I receive mail?

Mailrooms are located in each building. Mailbox assignments and combinations will be given out when you check into the building.

To receive a letter or package, the item must be addressed in the following manner:

Clark College:

[student's name as listed on myGate]
8000 Clark College
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3322

[student’s name as listed on MyGate]
8000 Clark College 
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3330

Elizabeth College:

[student’s name as listed on MyGate]
6500 Elizabeth College 
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3322

Franklin(HC) College:

[student’s name as listed on MyGate]
5500 Franklin College 
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3320

Hart College:

[student’s name as listed on MyGate]
4000 Hart College 
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3326

Hester College:

[student’s name as listed on MyGate]
6000 Hester College 
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3321

Regents College:

[student’s name as listed on MyGate]
7000 Regents College 
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3323

Richmond(JH) College:

[student’s name as listed on MyGate]
5000 Richmond College 
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3383

White(RH) College:

[student’s name as listed on MyGate]
7500 White College 
[Room # and Letter]
Murray, KY 42071-3386

When you move out of the halls, you will be asked to change your mailing address information in MyGate. However, it is ultimately your responsibility to inform those that are sending you mail of an address change.

If you have further questions, please contact James Smith, Postal Services Supervisor, at 270.809.5415.

What kitchen appliances can I have in my room?

We do have kitchenettes in each building and allow one microwave per room. Microwave  ovens no larger than 700 watts and Keurig coffee makers are allowed in the rooms. Appliances with exposed heating elements (i.e., hot plates) are not permitted. Please check out the What to bring/What not to bring list.

Can my student cook in their room?

No. We are concerned with fire safety. The fire codes are very strict. We do have kitchenettes in each building and allow one microwave per room. Microwave ovens no larger than 700 watts and Keurig coffee makers are allowed in the rooms. Appliances with exposed heating elements (i.e., hot plates) are not permitted. Please note that only one microwave is permitted per room.

Why can’t I bring two microwaves or two refrigerators to my room?

Unfortunately, the delivery system for electricity to each room is the same now as when the buildings were first built. At that time students did not bring anywhere near the amount of electrical appliances that they do today. In most cases, there are two rooms that are on a 20 amp breakers, which means that if the total amps used at any time exceeds 20, the breaker trips and leaves both rooms without power. A 700 watt microwave uses approximately 5 amps, while a 1200 watt hair dryer uses approximately 10 amps. A computer with printer uses between 7 and 9 amps and a TV or stereo can use between 1 and 1½ amps. For example if room A is using the computer and printer while listening to the stereo (for an approximate total of 10 amps in use), and room B has the computer on without the printer and has the TV on (for an approximate total of 8 amps in use), the room is okay but if room A or B turns on the microwave, the breaker with trip. This is why you are permitted to bring one microwave oven (no larger than 700 watts) and one refrigerator (4.6 cubic feet or less) in each room.

What about refrigerators in the rooms?

Refrigerators are permitted in the rooms. However the refrigerator cannot exceed 4.6 cubic feet. Please note that only one refrigerator per room is allowed.

What about TV and cable?

Our service is provided by Spectrum. You will have access to approximately 119 channels and an additional 40 sports channels provided through traditional cable.

How do I register my computer or other devices to have access to internet, RESNET and/or WiFi?

Wireless and wired network access is available in each residential hall, and wireless access is available in every campus building. You are welcome to bring your own computer, but it may be helpful to contact your academic department for more specific guideline on computer purchases. Please make sure your homeowner policy covers less or theft of this equipment as Murray State cannot accept responsibility. Please review the Campus Computer Lab list if you do not have a computer.

Although wireless network access is available, wired connections are available in each room. If you are preferring to use the wired network port, you will need to request a network port to be activated, either through the “Activate a Wired Port on ResNet” service request or by calling the Service Desk at 270.809.2346

All wired and wireless devices accessing ResNet will need to be registered through ResNet. Additional information on this process can be found in the “Register for FortiAC on ResNet” article. If you need additional assistance may call the Service Desk at 270.809.2346, or may bring their device(s) to the Service Desk, 3rd Floor, North Applied Science.

Does the heating and A/C work like my system at home?

We have what is called a two pipe system in all of our residence halls with exception of Lee Clark, HC Franklin and JH Richmond. This two pipe system means that the entire building can either have heat or A/C. Every individual room can control the amount of heat or A/C delivered to the room, but the room can only receive the type of air provided to the entire building. However, if you reside in Lee Clark, HC Franklin or JH Richmond, you do have the ability to control your own heat and A/C. Please note: Because of the temperatures in our area, we usually convert the buildings to heat in mid to late October and we usually convert the buildings to A/C in mid-April.

May I bring a car to campus?

Yes, parking tags are no longer issued. All parking on campus is by vehicle registration. We have different parking zone colors, once you are registered you will park is your designated zone. View current parking information.

Can I bring pets?

No. The only pets allowed are fish in an enclosed aquarium. However, if you have a documented medical condition that requires a service animal or an emotional support animal (ESA), you will need to contact the Office of Student Disability Services, 270.809.2018, prior to bringing your animal to campus. If you’re requesting to have an ESA on campus, you must have the approval of the Office of Student Disability Services prior to having their animal on campus. In addition, documentation from a qualified medical professional supporting the need for an ESA is required. Considering health, safety and comfort of every resident, animals found on campus that are deemed to be a pet (and not a service animal or an ESA) will be removed immediately at the expense of the resident.

How can I apply for a reasonable housing accommodation?

Housing Disability Assignments Process - A student with a documented disability or a parent or advocate on behalf of the student and with the student’s permission may make a written request for reasonable housing accommodation(s) or a housing exemption. Said request should include appropriate documentation of the student’s disability. Written requests for reasonable housing accommodation(s) can be made by completing the appropriate sections of the online housing application. The exemption form will be available on-line or in the Housing Office. The request form shall be forwarded to the ADA Subcommittee of the Affirmative Action Committee, 423 Wells Hall, Murray State University, Murray, KY 42071, for a determination. The decision of the ADA Subcommittee of the Affirmative Action Committee will then be mailed by the Office of Student Disability Services to the student. Please note that the resulting housing assignment, if any, will be made available on the student's myGate account. It should be noted that requests for accommodations can be initiated at any time. However, it is recommended that requests for the fall semesters be received by May 31st, for spring semesters by December 15th and for summer terms, one month prior to the first day of class. Requests for accommodations or a housing exemption made after the start of any semester or term shall be processed in like manner. A determination shall be made as soon as possible but no later than two (2) weeks following the date the request is received.

How can I appeal the decision on my reasonable accommodation request?

A student (or the student’s parent or advocate on behalf of the student) who is dissatisfied with the decision of the Subcommittee as to the requested accommodation(s) or housing exemption (i.e. does not believe that the housing assignment or denial of exemption accommodates the student’s disability or in some way endangers the student’s safety or health) may file a written appeal to the Office of Institutional Diversity Equity & Access (IDEA), 103 Wells Hall, Murray State University, Murray, KY 42071, along with any supporting documentation. Said appeal shall be filed in the Office of IDEA within ten (10) days from the date of receipt of the original decision by the Subcommittee as to the request for reasonable accommodation(s)/housing exemption. No one involved in the initial decision by the Subcommittee shall be involved in the determination on appeal which shall be made by the Office of IDEA. The Office of IDEA shall make a written determination within thirty (30) days from the date it received the appeal. The decision of the Office of IDEA shall be final.

Can I have visitors of a different gender in my room?

Yes. In accordance with the visitation guidelines for the hall you live in. The visitation policy, as well as other policies and information on housing can be found in the Student Life Handbook. Guests must be signed in and escorted at all times.

If I have a roommate conflict, what are my options?

If you have a roommate conflict, staff personnel are available to assist. You should first contact either your Resident Advisor or Residence Director, who will then arrange a meeting between you and your roommate. The goal of this meeting will be to have you both identify the issues and to move toward resolving them. If the issues cannot be resolved, then steps will be taken to enact a room change by one or both individuals.

Who is responsible for my personal property?

Your possessions are your responsibility. Although precautions are taken to maintain adequate security, Murray State cannot assume the responsibility for the loss or damage to student possessions. We encourage you to check or have your parents check their homeowner’s insurance policy that covers rental properties, there are companies which also offer insurance specifically for colleges and universities. Information on company that provides this service will be provided during the August check-in.

What about insurance for my belongings?

The university cannot purchase insurance for the students’ personal belongings. Check your homeowners insurance policy for coverage on rental proprieties. There are companies which offer insurance specifically for colleges and universities. Information on these companies will be provided during the August check-in.  

Can I bring my favorite candle from home?

The use of candles and incense is prohibited in the buildings. You may possess candles for decorative purposes only if the wicks have been cut out or if the candles remain in the original cellophane wrap. Candles that do not meet this criteria are removed from the student’s room. Smoking (including e-cigarettes) is not allowed in the buildings. Please refer to the What to bring/What NOT to bring to college list for more information on items approved for use in the residence halls.

What is the residency requirement?

Students are required to live on campus their freshman and sophomore years. Students can request an exemption from this requirement. Please visit the exemption page for specific information on this process.

Is there a residency requirement associated with receiving regional tuition? 

All students who come from the regional tuition counties of Alabama, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee are required live on campus for 4 full time semesters. Please review the Housing Requirements for further details.

What is the Residential College System?

Residential Colleges are the center of Murray State University. The Residential College System at Murray State University redefines collegiate living and educational experiences for undergraduate students. Every undergraduate student belongs to one of the Residential Colleges. At the heart of each is the Residential College. The Residential College provides the focal point for all Residential College activities. Each Residential College is composed of students from a variety of academic majors, grade classifications, ethnic backgrounds and extracurricular interests. Residential Colleges are designed to celebrate the rich diversity of Murray State University students, staff and faculty. Each offer a stimulating living-learning environment for students.

Residential Colleges provide students with opportunities to interact with faculty on a daily basis outside of the classroom. The small community atmosphere allows students a chance to establish a sense of pride and common purpose. After being assigned to a Residential College, students are connected with that community throughout their undergraduate years. Students, staff and faculty establish enduring friendships through the experience. The Residential College develops traditions and lasting bonds that remain with students years after graduation.

Residential College Activities

Residential Colleges are places for the exchange of ideas, experiences, feelings and interests. Thus, the development and implementation of programs and activities are important aspects of the Residential College experience.

Residential College Council

The Residential College Council is a group of students who represent the interests of an individual Residential College. Composed of students elected by students living on each floor or in the college, this group plans programs and activities for its Residential College. Officers are elected each Spring for the Residential College Council. While the organization of the governing body varies from college to college, each group's purposes are similar. Each college council implements programs and activities that meet the needs of the residents as well as represent the residents on issues that affect their living environment. Activities that college councils have sponsored in the past include Welcome Week activities, intramural teams, Homecoming and Parent's Weekend receptions, and end-of-the year cookouts.

Residential College Association

The Residential College Association (RCA), a coordinating body among the Residential Colleges and their communities, consists of one representative per Residential College. Each college is responsible for choosing its representatives. RCA works with housing staff and residents in facility modification, distribution of publications, addressing areas of concerns for residents and planning activities and programs for the Residential College community.

What is liquidation?  

Students who have met the requirement to move off campus may LIQUIDATE their housing contracts at the end of the fall semester for the spring semester by agreeing to pay 25 percent of the current room rate or receiving a refund of 75 percent of the prepaid rent for the spring semester. This option is not available after the resident signs in or moves in for the spring semester. The liquidation option is only available for the spring semester.

What can I bring for my residence hall room?

View the What to bring/What NOT to bring to college list


Consolidation is the process of moving together residents who are paying for double occupancy but for some reason are in a room without a roommate. Students will be notified via email and will be provided a list of names of same gender residents who are also without a roommate. Residents who may find themselves in this situation should consider this process as an opportunity to find someone that they would like to have as a roommate. Our goal is not to inconvenience our residents; rather encourage our students to find someone that they would feel comfortable sharing a room with. This ultimately creates a better living environment and fosters academic achievement.  








Take the next step

© Murray State University Department of Web ManagementWe are Racers.