- Ph.D., Mississippi State University, 2005
- M.A., North Carolina State University, 1989
- B.S., Social Science, Campbell University, 1985
- "William Archibald Dunning: Flawd Colossus of American Letters." The Dunning School: Historians, Race, and the Meaning of Reconstruction. ed. John David Smith and J. Vincent Lowery. Lexington, Kentucky: University of Kentucky Press, 2013.
- Interpreting American History: The Age of Andrew Jackson. Ed., Brian D. McKnight and James S. Humphreys. Kent, Ohio: Kent State University Press, 2011.
- “The Worst Tortures of the Middle Ages”: Allied Protest against British and American Bombing of Germany during World War II. Journal of the North Carolina Association of Historians 18 (April 2010): 46-63.
- Francis Butler Simkins: A Life. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2008.
- World Civilizations I and II
- US History to 1877
- US History Since 1877
- Civil War and Reconstruction
- Craft, Methods, and Scope of History
- Development of Historical Thinking
- Readings in United States History
- The Old South
- The New South
- Jacksonian Democracy and Sectional Conflict
- Southern Politics and Culture
- Teaching History
- History of Modern Christian Thought
- African-American History;
- Early American History;
- Modern European History;
- Southern US History