ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF ENGLISH (CREATIVE WRITING), COORDINATOR OF CREATIVE WRITING PROGRAM, ASSISTANT TO THE CHFA DEAN
- Ph.D., English (Creative Writing, Poetry), Texas Tech University
- M.A., The Writing Seminars (Poetry), Johns Hopkins University
- B.S., Secondary English Education, University of Evansville
- After the Revival. Waywiser Press, 2009.
- Four Weddings and a Mirror. Big Game Books.
- "The Country Singer's Ex-Wife, Sober in Mendocino County, California." Gracious: Poems from the 21st Century South. Texas Tech University Press (2020). Print.
- “In the Field Where We Remember Nothing” and “Tritina for Spring.” Midwest Review. 8 (2020). 102-104. Print.
- “Double Vision” and “Matin with Violin.” Exit 7. (2020). 48. Print.
- “Child’s Play.” Birmingham Poetry Review. 46 (2019). 163. Print.
- "Love Poem for My Sister," in Unsplendid. Includes audio recording.
- Poems and Interview at From the Fishouse: An Audio Archive of Emerging Poets
- Sample poems for Measure: A Review of Formal Poetry
- Poem and Interview at How a Poem Happens
- ENG 105 Critical Reading, Writing, and Inquiry
- ENG 201 Introduction to Literature
- ENG 214 Introduction to Creative Writing
- ENG 312 American Literature, 1890-Present
- ENG 342 Introduction to Poetry Writing
- ENG 343 Special Topics in Creative Writing
- ENG 344 Introduction to Creative Nonfiction
- ENG 380 Introduction to Poetry and Poetics
- ENG 392 Professional Engagement
- ENG 416 Writer's Workshop: Poetry
- ENG 488 Notations Internship
- ENG 548 Senior Seminar
- ENG 561 Advanced Creative Writing: Poetry
- ENG 614 Topics in English Studies: Modern & Contemporary Long Lyric Poetry
- ENG 633 American Literature Since 1920
- ENG 635 20th Century American Poetry
- ENG 638 Studies in Southern Literature
- HUM 211 The Western Tradition
Areas of Specialization
- American Literature
- Creative Writing
- Literary Editing
Awards and Distinctions
- ODK Academic Advisor of the Year, Murray State University, 2021-22
- Board of Regents Teaching Excellence Award, Murray State University, 2019-2021
- Winner, Anthony Hecht Poetry Prize, 2009
- Finalist, Brittingham & Pollak Poetry Prize, 2009
- Finalist, Philip Levine Poetry Prize, 2009
Leadership and Service
- Assistant to the Dean, College of Humanities and Fine Arts
- Coordinator, Creative Writing Program
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP)
- Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association (PCA/ACA)
In the Media
- Read a review of Dr. Jerrell's award-winning book of poems, After the Revival.