- Ph.D., Applied Linguistics, Northern Arizona University
- M.A., Interdisciplinary Studies: Linguistics, Texas Tech University
- B.A., English and French, Texas Tech University
- Professional Certification: Texas lifetime teacher certification for secondary schools in English, French, Journalism, ESL
- Panorama Level 1. Flynn, K., Mackey, D., & Trites, L. with Daniel, D., & Ochoa, A. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Panorama Level 2. Flynn, K., Mackey, D., & Trites, L. with Daniel, D., Holland, J., Kisslinger, E., & Tzoytzoyrakos, A. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Panorama Level 3. Flynn, K., & Trites, L. with Daniel, D., Kisslinger, E., Pollock, R., & Tzoytzoyrakos, A. (2006). New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Trites, L., and S. Xia, eds. "Special Issue: Advanced Language Learning Issues in Second Language Acquisition." Indian Journal of Applied Linguistics 38.1 (2012).
- "Reading to Learn and Reading to Integrate: New Tasks for Reading Comprehension Tests," with M. McGroarty. Language Testing 22 (2005): 174-210.
- "Journals as a Self-Evaluative, Reflective Classroom Tool: A Case Study of Advanced ESL Graduate Students." Eds. J. Burton and M. Carrell. Journal Writing in ESL (2001): 59-70.
- "Small-Group Journals as a Tool of Critical Reflection: A Measure of Success and Failure. Eds. J. Burton, P. Quirke, C. Reichmann, & J. Peyton. Reflective Writing: A Way to Lifelong Teacher Learning, 2010.
- ENG 310 Introduction to English Linguistics
- ENG 618 Introduction to Linguistic Science
- TSL 331 Strategies and Materials for Teaching English Learners
- TSL 332 ESL Methods, Grades 5-12
- TSL 410 ESL Assessment, Placement and Advocacy
- TSL 600 Methods and Materials for Second Language Teaching
- TSL 609 Foundations of Second Language Acquisition
- TSL 610 Research Methods in Applied Linguistics and Language Education
- TSL 615 Curriculum Design in Second Language Teaching and Learning
- TSL 623 Testing and Evaluation in Second Language Teaching
- TSL 634 Language and Culture
- TSL 653 Second Language Integrated Skills Seminar
- TSL 680 Practicum
- TSL 690 Internship: Teaching Focus
Areas of Specialization
- Reading and Writing Instruction and Assessment
- ESL/EFL Teacher Training
- Applied Linguistics
Awards and Distinctions
- Fulbright Scholarship, Yilan, Taiwan, 2008-09
- Sandra Flynn Murray State International Student Professor of the Year Award, 2004-05
Leadership and Service
- Director, TESOL Programs
- Academic Council, Secretary and Graduate Studies Subcommittee
- Chair, College of Humanities and Fine Arts Academic Planning and Curriculum Committee
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL): Awards Committee Member, 2010-2012
- Kentucky Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (KYTESOL): President, KYTESOL Board: 2012-Present
- National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE): Specialized Professional Association (SPA) Evaluator, Lead Reviewer and Auditor: 2010-Present