"In all my teaching, I strongly believe what Diane Larsen Freeman said: 'It is not our responsibility to ENTERTAIN our students but it is our responsibility to ENGAGE our students.' No matter which type of TESOL classes I teach, I consistently consider students as active learning-constructors — constructing language teaching knowledge, skills and critical thinking ability together with teachers and peers."
- Ph.D., State University of New York (SUNY), Albany
- M.S., SUNY, Albany
- M.A., University of International Business and Economics, Beijing, China
- Academic Visiting Scholar, University of Cambridge, UK
- Visiting Scholar, Dept of English, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- B.A., Hunan Normal University, China
- Chinese Students’ Transcultural Strategies: Intentions to Navigate Identity Conflicts and Expand Their Identities Through Hong Kong Study Experiences. Journal of Comparative & International Higher Education, 15. 2, 2023, pp. 63-93.
- Developing Awareness of Questioning Strategies for Second Language Learner Teachers. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 11. 6, 2020, pp. 853-862.
- Editor, with Dr. Latricia Trites, on "Advanced Language Learning Issue as a Complex Issue: An Introduction." Indian Journal of Applied Linguistics 38.1 (Jan-Jun 2012).
- "Classroom Pragmatic Factors: A Two-year Study of 7 East Asian Students' Verbal Participation Intentions." In Pilar G. Blitvich & Marcia Macaulay (Eds.) Pragmatics and Context. Toronto: York University Press /Antares (2012): 307-343.
- "Are they ready to participate? East Asian students' acquisition of verbal participation in American classrooms." Issues in Applied Linguistics, 17.2 (2009): 137-157.
- "Using telephone conversations to develop awareness of pragmatic skills: An activity-theory-driven approach." Indian Journal of Applied Linguistics (IJOAL), 35, 2 (2009); 7-31.
- Negotiating frames through refusal acts: A pragmatic analysis of native/non-native speakers' interactions in problem-solving telephone conversations." The Open Journal of Applied Linguistics, 1 (2008): 18-29
- Applied Linguistics for Second Language Teaching (online and classroom-based)
- Bilingual Education
- Course and Syllabus Design (online and classroom-based)
- Curriculum Development (online)
- Developing Intercultural Competence (online and classroom-based)
- Integrated Skills Seminar
- Language and Culture
- Language Testing (online and classroom-based)
- Linguistics and Grammars
- Methods and Materials for Teaching ESL (online and classroom-based)
- TESOL Field Experience
- TESOL Practicum and Internship
- Research in Second Language Learning and Teaching
- Special Topics: Pragmatics and Language Teaching
- TESOL Practicum: Study Abroad
Areas of Specialization
- ESL/EFL Teacher Training
- Cognitive Approaches to Second Language Learning
- Methods, Strategies, and Techniques for Language Teaching
- Language Teaching Curriculum Design
Awards and Distinctions
- Nomination, Board of Regents Teaching Excellence Award, Murray State 2021
- College of Humanities and Fine Arts Excellence in Service Award, Murray State, 2020
- CISR Grant, Murray State, 2007 & 2014
- Sandra Flynn Professor of the Year, Murray State University, April 2011
- Board of Regents Teacher of Excellence, Murray State University, 2010
Leadership and Service
- TESOL International: Nominating Committee
- TESOL International: Professonal Development Professional Council (PDPC)
- TESOL International: Second Language Writing Interest Section Committee
- KYTESOL Board Leadership Roles: President, Past President, Vice President
- Professional Development Officer; Affiliate and Publication Liaison, KYTESOL Board
- Affiliate and Publication Liaison
- SETESOL Conference: Co-Chair
- Associate Dean (served five years): School of Foreign Languages, Beihang University, Beijing.
- Assistant to the Dean for Student Affairs: School of Foreign Languages, Hunan Normal University China
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- TESOL International Association
- American Applied Linguistics Association (AAAL)
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) Reviewer